Thursday, August 26, 2010

Last Day in Calgary, ReggaeFest

Sitting in the coolness of the soft, green grass surrounded by others here to enjoy the Calgary Reggaefest, and having second thoughts about attending today, mostly because of the cost involved; however, I'm happy I did attend.  Just after entering Shaw Milenium Park a beautiful young lady came up to me calling "Lynn."  I didn't pay much attention, until she touched me.  Megan and Tyler were traveling through Central America the same time I was, so we would often run into each other.  She is working here in Calgary and about to start back to school here.  Surprised to see her, but now I have another friend in Calgary.  She handed me a free Redbull as I had to ask for her name; the face was recognized, not the name at first.  We talked for a bit and then she was back to work promoting Redbull.
Megan and I in Calgary, Thanks for the free Redbull.

Smells of Jerk Chicken, Jamaican meat pies, and other spicy Jamaican foods abound.  Reggae fans come together, it is one type of music that doesn't know race, although some with limited minds might see differently.  Young, old, black, white, Asian all dance together to the music, sit back on blankets, and enjoy the soulful sounds of the current performer from Jamaica, Nesbit.

Something amazing happened today that brought back memories and a re-connection with some wonderful people I used to know in Washington D.C.  Amazement and questions about how and why Dwight found me on Facebook ruled the feeling barometer, but a few clicks later and the Friend Request was confirmed.  After a quick search of his friends, a Friend Request sent by me, and a re-connection with Rob.  Over some 14 years ago I worked for Rob, made some big mistakes, and his kindness shone through a dark period of my past.  It is good to re-connect with these men.

"One love, one heart." the band sings, the crowd yells in response, "let’s get together and feel alright!"  
Claudia returns to the stage to announce the next band, the DJ plays and people walk about, others dance to the DJ's music.  My mind still trying to grasp what the Universe is bringing about for my life with all of these re-connections, people I have thought about but wasn't sure if such re-connections were possible.
I'm not enjoying the performances that much for some reason, but dance a bit while standing in the crowd, and after walking around a bit decide that I'm ready to go back to the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment