Monday, September 20, 2010

Re-connecting

Time spent with people close to you allows for learning more about them, and today marked a time of getting to know my friend Edson, my adoptive nephew from my travels in Puerta Vallarta.  He was the only one of three who could make it into New York City today to have lunch.  Originally intending to catch the C train from Brooklyn and exiting at Canal Street, another route had to be taken due to weekend construction on the NY Metro.  Thus, the C train but on the F train route led to exiting the train just to see where I was headed and how I can make my way to where I had arranged to met Edson.  Blocks passed as I walked along 6th Avenue (The Avenue of the Americas) down towards Grand, the phone rings, Edson is only 15 minutes away, so he finds out where I am located, I find a nice little park and wait, reading in the Buddhism book.  Not much time passed and Edson arrives in his Audi stationwagon, the bags thrown into the back, and we were off to enjoy lunch at The Park on 10th Ave.

The nicest surprise was presented when as I handed my credit card to the waitress, Edson suddenly realized what had taken place and yells, "No, stop that, bring that back and take this."  Thus, lunch provided by a friendly, warm, and caring person.  Discussions of his new career, his love life, and his life in general progressed throughout the time together.  It was a pleasure to see this young man grow over the last three, almost four, years into the young man seated next to me.  I'm thankful for the time, even short as it was, to spend with him.  My grandmother once said that she enjoyed being around young people because it kept her young.  I understand Granny, I understand.

Now on the Bolt Bus heading towards Washington DC I type this Blog.  Recounting the time spent relaxing in Brooklyn.  Brad and Michael were gracious hosts and pleasant company, yet there were times when I felt in the way; I had actually hoped for more time with them to become better acquainted.  However, they had work and other activities to attend to so much of my time was spent alone.  The walk through parts of Brooklyn took me past the Jamaican residents, into the the Hesitic Jewish community, and around into the Yuppie neighborhoods with the Prospect Park being the final destination.  Nature provides calming, renewing, and healing energy; thus the long afternoon of walking through the park proved beneficial with time for exercise and time for thought.

Through this time in Brooklyn, the renewed energy for writing the book emerged, along with the desire to return to my educational pursuits.  Thus everything has its purpose and such was this time in Brooklyn.  Sleep would be nice about now and I may take a short nap, but there is a desire to check emails first.

No comments:

Post a Comment