Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lessons I learned from Dogs.

I love animals and have always been blessed with the gift of having a strong connection with them, that person that animals are attracted to.  Lately, I have often pondered why my roommate’s dogs seem to desire to spend their time with me, sleeping with me, responding easier to me, loving me.  Yesterday, as I was talking with Toby, the words freely flowed from the realm of the unconscious into thought and words.  I call him Old Man, but he is only 10 months old, is a rescue/foster dog hurt by a car and has difficulty using his back legs.  He sleeps with me regularly now, and has the eyes of an old soul.  I was a bit surprised, having to stop for a moment to listen to the words I spoke to him, as I asked why he and the other dog, Arianna, desired to hang out with me so much.  These are the lessons I’m learning from dogs:
  • We all want to be loved, petted, and hang around those that express love and concern for us.
  • I should be more loyal and trusting of the people in my life.
  • I should express unconditional love to those around me.
  • We all need some discipline and structure in our lives in order to feel secure and know our place.
  • I should gently stroke my friends, giving praise and encouragement.
  • I should protect my home and my friends.
  • We all enjoy social interaction and having fun, being able to play.
  • I should seek assistance when I really need it.
  • I should express my emotions in ways that communicate them effectively.

These are the lessons I realized yesterday from hanging out with the dogs.  I’ve always had an infinity with, a love for, and an uncanny communication ability with animals of all sorts.  As I remember back, I was the one that could establish a relationship with the unruly horses; perhaps it is because I understood that one should never try to break another’s spirit in order to control them, to instead seek to develop and encourage their free spirits and allow a natural partnership to develop through trust.  It has always been a bit strange that various animals have found their way to me over the years, from that little new born puppy that walked over a mile to sleep on my front door step, that little kitten that fell inside a wall next to a person’s desk that would bring them to me for care, and that one horse that everyone said was crazy but walked right up to me.  I miss you Peppy Joe Rose, my horse from days past.  I do so miss the horses in my life, especially Fanny Marie Lee, the buckskin horse my grandfather rescued from the rodeo circuit and who became a much loved member of our then strongly connected family.

I miss the laughter, the joy, and the love of what used to be my family; but it seems that with time our paths have all taken different directions; and time doesn’t heal all wounds.  But for me, the lessons of forgiveness (not forgiveness to help them, but forgiveness to free myself), love and loyalty increase.  I grow personally through the experiences of my life.  Even now as I am challenged with not being able to hear well, I find ways of appreciating the silence, realizing that perhaps I haven’t always listened as I should and that now it requires my full attention to speak with friends.  There are lessons in everything and through every person in our lives, the difference is whether we choose to acknowledge those lessons, learn from them, and grow.

Thought for today:  What lessons have you learned from a pet or a challenge?  Are you growing from that lesson or hardening yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment