Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thunder shook the walls

The thunder shook the walls, the lightning filled the mysterious darkness, sirens wailed and thoughts of what was happening and if we were secure emerged.  A glance out of the front door only to confirm the thick pounding rain and watch the large Oak trees dance like doing the Salsa.  A bit later and it was all calm, except for other areas near here.  A tornado hit just North of Dallas and several more further Northward into Oklahoma.  Golf ball sized hail hit hard and even brought a sports fans in the pro stadium scrambling for protection.

Radar weather reports showed the storm and even commented on where it was the worse, but tonight wasn't really about the storm, it was about giving.  During all of the compotion Ken, my friend in Dallas, came and told me that his dog, Sleepy, was convulsing.  I asked if I could see her, so we walked down the hall to where she lay on her side, every muscle in her tiny body rythmitcally pulsing and her mouth foaming.  There could have been many causes, from the recent Flea & Tick drops to the wasp we found struggling to live.  What ever it was, led to a few hours of providing love and comfort to this small dog.  Her convulsions were so great that she had to be held to help her keep calm.  In my lap with my arms tight around her, we sat.  My sleeping pills kicking in and I pull out the bedding from her crate and put it on the floor.  I lay her down and then, like a mother dog would do, curled myself around her so she could feel my heartbeat, my breath, and know she was OK.

A sponge to drip water slowly into her mouth seemed to help, but I wasn't sure how much she actually got.  The foaming stopped, but the convulsions continued, so there we lay on the cool laundry room floor asking the animal spirits to gather to help her.  About an hour later she is calming, so we sit her up on her stomach and help her drink water.  Me holding her up and Ken cupping water in his hands for her.  She began to respond by slapping up the water.  Before the hour was over, she lay curled up on my arms peaceful.  Now, after a quick shower, I'm sitting here and contemplating a thought.

When someone or something ix going through a great ordeal, do we run away, know we should help but are unable to do anything because we don't know what to do, or do we offer or own love, energy, and comfort? Tonight I gave the gift of love to a small dog, who's been struggling for some time now.  I could feel her tiny heart pounding rapidly and feel each muscle contract.  She's peacefully resting now, but tonight she gave me a change to share my love.

Thought for now:  How many people (or even animals) do you know really need help?  What do you do to help them?  I believe the greatest gift we can give is our love, as pure love has no agenda, only the desire for the well being of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment