Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dump the Pump

As part of the National Dump the Pump day, Cap Metro is having a contest, so I submitted my essay about 'riding on the Metro.'   The prizes are good, like n iPad2 (32GB WiFi), three month's worth of Capital Metro passes, four tickets to an Austin Chronicle "Paper Cuts" concert, a commuter gift bag and a free Car2Go membership with 120 free minutes.  Here's the essay I submitted.

"Riding on the Metro"
Even though I cannot hear much in crowded noisy places, when I ride the Cap Metro I hear a song by Berlin, "The Metro".  No, the song isn't playing on the bus or the rail, it's in my head.  There's a lot of music in my head, and I rely upon it to help me through troubling times.  Recently I lost the majority of my hearing, discovered that driving gave me headaches, and thus, I quit driving.  Now, I'm 'riding on the Metro' daily.  

Some might say that Public Transportation is only for the low income, but I see people from every walk of life on the buses and trains.  Talking with some of these people provides insight into the lives of others, and even if there isn't talk, my creative mind ponders the life stories of my fellow riders, "Who is that man in the wheel chair and where is he headed today?  I see him every so often and remember seeing him at Target."

Thanks to modern technology, finding my way around is getting easier.  I can text my location and destination and obtain route information.  I can use the QR Code now being implemented in various locations, it is just a simple click and read to know route schedules, the information phone line is always helpful (but I rely upon the other methods because of my hearing issues), and the Cap Metro website provides schedules, routes, and information.  I even use Google Maps to determine how to get around town, as it has the option to include Public Transportation as your mode of transportation.

Yes, I'm 'riding on the Metro', I've dumped the pump, and I'm discovering small businesses and interesting locations, not to mention meeting some interesting characters, throughout Austin.  I'm walking more and gaining better health through the exercise.  These days I'm actually enjoying the ride, as I get to see what is around me, discover areas I would not normally travel through, and learning that Public Transportation is a benefit to society.  We are Austin, we should have more light rail lines, uniquely weird ones, that reflect the culture of Austin, with every rail stop being a transfer station to area buses.  Can't you see it Austin?  No more traffic woes, relaxing while you ride to work, special events, or even a night out on the town (think about no more DWI's).  Public Transportation and Cap Metro can take us there, so sing along with me, I'm 'riding on the Metro.' 


Thought for now:  Are you willing to Dump the Pump for one day?  What can you do to improve Public Transportation?

Resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment