Saturday, July 2, 2011

Adonis is his name

Update: 3/21/2015
Not long after I adopted Adonis it became clear that his name was too strong for him (a name is your character) so he was renamed something more light-hearted - Freckles, but he also has a nickname of Sweet Pea.  He's a special guy, but even after all this time he still doesn't like humans much, but loves to be given treats - just don't try to pet him.

Update:  10/29/2011
I ended up adopting the little dog I've been fostering from Austin Pets Alive, as he is a very special guy.  Like me he doesn't hear very well because he doesn't have ear drums, he's had a rough life and apparently no one treated him very well.  The good news is that now that he has been with me for the last many months, he is becoming more playful, loves to curl up in my lap, really enjoys his daily runs, and is becoming more sociable.  Oh, because the name Adonis is so powerful and carries with it so much of a reputation, I've changed his name.  He is now Freckles.  A name is your spirit, your energy, and he now has fun.

Original Post.
Meeting a handsome man, one that was just as attracted to me as I am to him, has long been a desire.  On a sweltering Austin summer day a few emails were exchanged, a few phone calls shared, and before the sun shone its last bit of shine, the charismatic, handsome, energetic Adonis walked into my life.  A companion brightens your days, creates laughter, and it means you have someone to curl up with.  He may not be the man for everyone, but he is the man for me, as we're walking together, enjoying meals together, and playing on the floor together.  At the moment, with a great deal of trust on his behalf, he allowed me to help him up onto the sofa to curl up with me and enjoy a movie.  He's a bit timid of others, probably from his earlier years, but there is a love that sparkles in his eyes when I catch him staring at me.

With a name like Adonis, just like the Greek God he's named after, he is youthful, beautiful, and probably destined to share 3 loves in his life.  The initial introduction required a bit of patience as the door opened and he slowly took a lay of the land and stepped out and onto the carpet.  This is his home now, just as much as it is mine, so on this day of chilling out together, each in our little spaces, we've slowly begun the sweet lovers dance.  Laughter rages as he pushes and pulls away his head from inside my arm as we lay here on the sofa.  Yes, getting him up here took a trust point from him to trust me to pick him up, you see, he has a hurt back which needs healing, and that's why he is here - To get better so he can share his loving, energetic, playful, and ever so bright personality with a family that can one day provide him a permanent home.  

As I type, he's curled up here next to me on the sofa, lazily glancing up at me, almost like he's trying to get a full history report on my life.  But the key is, that he's on the sofa, he jumped up and I lifted him the rest of the way.  I do so enjoy a sleeping companion, one like Adonis who's charms could cause any to melt under his warm, steamy, in-depth stares.

I have to admit something here, Adonis is not of the human clan, he is from the canine clan, a chi in fact.  He weights less than 10 pounds, is covered with a bright white, short haired coat with a small brownish spot at the base of his tail, on the tips of his ears, and on his adorable little nose.
Dinner was served, a short walk enjoyed afterwards, and now the evening of relaxing together.  Yes, animals have always expressed their love and trust in me, and I have always had more patience with animals than with people.  His curiosity has taken him all over the small studio apartment and now all over the sofa.  (three times now he has asked to be picked up - something he doesn't like because of his back pain) to come up on the sofa.  I watch him and he is so smart, When he needs to go outside, he walks over to the door, barks for a moment, turns around to look at me, and says, "well, get the leash and your shoes and lets go."  In only a few hours of being here, we've taken four walks and he loves them.  He handles very well on a leash with light control, listens attentively to every sound around.

He may be experiencing some back pain, but I can see that this delightful, smart, and charismatic young man will have no problems finding a good home, but not until I've enjoyed working with him.  I do love having him curl up in my lap while I work - my new design helper.  
He so wants to be loved and to show his love, to be accepted an to feel good again.  He has a home where he can have all of that and more.  For now, time to transform the sofa into the bed for the evening and get ready for sleep.  Will he join me, or not.  Oh, the story continues.

Adonis, a 2 year old Chihuahua that has some back issues was in another foster home for a bit and he found his way to me through my decision to become a Foster Parent for Austin Pets Alive.  Adonis and me, it will be good.


If you have space in your home or yard and a little time to help save the life of these wonderful animals, please contact Austin Pets Alive and learn more about volunteering, fostering, or adoption.  The have a bunch of kittens and cats that need homes before tomorrow some time, or, shhhggggg, they get it and go to pet heaven.  Can you help?

No comments:

Post a Comment