Monday, July 4, 2011

Companionship, Pets, and HIV & AIDS

Pain can cause many of us to not respond well to those around us, to not be very socially minded, and to snip at others around us.  Such is the case with Adonis, the loving Chihuahua I'm fostering at the moment.  Since his arrival on Saturday, he has become more relaxed.  The one-on-one environment seems to be good for him, as he is becoming more trusting, loving, and affectionate.


During our walks, you can tell that he so wants to run about and be the 2 year old that he is, but his hurt back limits that fun.  His curiosity is amazing and no sound or smell escapes his attention.  Laughter breaks out when I see him get excited and start to run.  He skips with his hind legs and runs with his front ones.  I know it is because of his back issue, but I hope one day he'll be free of the pain and able to run like he wants to.  He enjoys his walks and isn't barking at everyone now, like he did when he first arrived.



Our first night together didn't provide much sleep because he barked at every sound or movement in the window (my apartment has a floor to ceiling window so he can see everything).  Last night was different, we both slept.  Probably because he was more relaxed in his new home.  I awoke to find he had moved the towel he's been sleeping on over to beside my bed to be closer to me.  Slowly looking over at him, he smiled and began wagging his little curled tail.  It is such a joy to be greeted with such warmth and excitement.



As he begins to trust me, I've discovered that he loves to have his ears scratched.  He is so funny and acts like a cat by doing little head butts into my side for me to pet him.  Both of our affections for the other are growing.  He's a great companion and his small size makes him perfect for the small apartment.  Having him around helps me as well.  His loving, affectionate, and charismatic nature (it really shows when he's not in pain) provides the love this apartment, and I, have needed.

There are many of us living with HIV and AIDS and the ones I know that have a pet seem to have a bit of purpose and are enlivened by the company and love of their pets.  Over the last few days I've pondered the idea of how to help Austin Pets Alive, the organization I'm fostering for, and those living with HIV and AIDS by developing some sort of companionship program to allow no or extremely low fee adoptions and placements of the dogs and cats at APA to those with HIV and AIDS.  It could be a great way to provide some love to people who really need it and a home to many of the pets temporarily residing at APA.  Thee may be such a program, but I couldn't find one while searching the Internet, but I did find programs to assist those with HIV/AIDS keep their pets, such as PAWS.

I may live on a limited income, but thankfully I am able to work from home, but I'll spend my last bit of money to make sure Adonis has food, fun, and a comfortable place to live.  It was lonesome here before he arrived, and now, I smile every day and have someone to converse with, to walk with, and to curl up with.  A big smile emerges as I see his protector side exposed, as he will do a little bark towards anyone walking by the window (I keep the blinds pulled up so he can see outside).  He may be small in stature, but he is big in heart.  Adonis is a great pet.




Thought for Now:
Resources for low or limited income assistance for people with pets.
Animal Trustees of Austin
EmanciPET
Pet Food Bank of Austin

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for fostering Adonis! Your story is truly heartwarming. I am an APA! volunteer also and have adopted two of my fosters. I think your idea is great, you should talk to APA! about it. I am a big supporter of people living with HIV/AIDS and have a very good relationship with Project Transitions. Perhaps they could help? More power to you, give Adonis some smooches from me!

    ReplyDelete