Sunday, July 10, 2011

Adonis loves being outside and walking.

Having often times been called slow, different, or any other number of names, all because I was different than other people.  It seems I know a bit more about Adonis, my foster pet through Austin Pets Alive, as each day passes, I begin to see signs of just how different he is and ponder if those differences were what caused him to be abandoned and hurt.

I'll watch him put his nose in the corner and stand there, as if he has been scolded.  I laugh when he pulls his blanket (an old towel) through the apartment only to sit down and just hold it in his mouth for hours.  He only once has laid back and exposed his belly for a scratch and that was after some rough housing we were doing  and when he started to snip again, I growled back, so he submitted.  He loves to be petted now, but only while he is standing up.  Behind the ears are his favorite spot, but I can see that the belly rub is going to soon take over.  Now that there isn't much pain in his back, he lets me scratch his back.

Although he is allowing me to pick him up, I do so carefully, because there is something that still causes him fear or pain, but he doesn't bite as before, only does a little high pitched whine and snip.

His diarrhea is gone, along with the horrible flatualance smell, since I've changed his food over to an organic type.  His new doggie treats are vitamins for hip and joints, so I can see that they are helping him.  He'll spend an hour going over one of the small meaty bone treats.  Being close is something he is doing more and more.  He moves his blanket to either beside my bed or under the bed, and every now and then I'll awake with him sleeping beside me.

I think I would like to take him to a doggie psychic and a vet, to see if we can pinpoint some of the issues he has and what he has gone through before now.

Tonight, after several walks, he started to crouch to relieve himself, I had to yell, "NO!", jumped up, grabed the leash, opened the door, and held the leash for him to run through on the way out the door.  We made it.  He's been so good about going to the door and scratching on it to let me know he wants to go outside.

Perhaps him coming to stay with me was for good reason, as I think we understand each other and we both have to learn to trust again.  He's a great dog and hasn't been barking at people during our walks and is showing more curiousity about the things, animals and people around.

The movie "Forest Gump" comes to mind every time I play with him, something we do every night on the floor.  He's special, so hopefully there will be someone equally special who knows how to love and appreciate this handsome little man.  It's only been a week now, but we've come a long way together, so I'm excited to see how much further we can go.

Austin Pets Alive needs other foster parents, and every time I see a request, I want to say, 'Yes', but then I don't because I'm not sure how Adonis will react just yet.  So soon, I'll say 'Yes' to another foster so Adonis will learn to be around other animals.

If you are looking to adopt a pet, then check out many of the dogs and cats available at Austin Pets Alive.  If you're special, like Adonis and me, then you might be great with some of the foster pets (you'd only have them for a short period, care for them, give them medications, and train them, and then help them find adoptive homes.)  I'm glad my friend Shannon insisted that I do this, as the rewards are numerous.  I'm loving again, I'm not alone, and I have love coming back in funny ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment