Saturday, July 23, 2011

Life with Adonis, Canine Mental Illness

Over the past few weeks I've watched my friend go from being un-trusting to faithful, but there is a question in my mind.  If humans can have mental illness, can dogs?  The discovery of him not having ear drums, which explained him not responding to voice helped and now I'm working with him through doggie sign language.  He and I both have to learn it.

One on one with me Adonis does great, but when other pets are introduced he becomes aggressive again, like today when I brought home the two new Beagle/Terrier puppies.  He acted the same way almost two weeks ago when he and I came to house and dog sit for some friends.  Adonis became friends with Shadow within a few days and have played well ever since.  I've had my companion on Pet-Eze, a natural combination of herbs to help keep him calm.  It seemed to be working until today.

Now as I sit here, I watch my poor dog growl at something unseen as he stares into nothing.  He still occasionally growls and snips at me, but I've learned to growl right back and jump in his face to let him know he's on my turf.  He calms down for a bit, except tonight.  Is it the introduction of the 2 new puppies?  Is it something more serious?

I decided to foster the puppies after I saw how much Adonis enjoyed having another canine playmate, but now I'm not so sure it was a good idea.  I'll give him a few more days and hopefully he'll adjust like he did with Shadow.

But the thought still remains.  Is it possible that he has a mental illness, brain damage, or something else that causes his unfriendly behavior?  My heart weakens as I watch him stare into nothing and growl, my mind wonders what he sees.

I knew that he would require a special home, so I adopted him after fostering him for 2 weeks.  Patience and understanding I have with animals, there are times I wish I had such with humans.
Next week he and I will visit the vet to follow up with his ear infection, but I'm also going to be talking to the vet about heart worm treatments, and maybe finding him doggie Valium.  My friends all say that a dog is like their owner, so it's no wonder he's here with me - both almost deaf, both with mental disorders, and both with social stigmas.  I'm working on mine, through my therapist, my doctor and my psychologist.  Now to find a way to help my little companion.

Knowing that this next month is going to generate a great deal of medical bills for Adonis, I'm asking the universe to bring me some work to cover the extra costs, just like it did this month.  My only desire is to see him happy, healthy, and able to socialize well with others, human and animal.  For now, I enjoy the quiet as he has fallen asleep, but he's on my bed, so I'm sleeping on the floor.


I'll research as much as I can, learn, and find ways of helping him, as in between the episodes I see a loving, sweet, affectionate dog.  Adonis, you're safe with me and together we'll find a way.

2 comments:

  1. Adonis is lucky to have someone like you who cares enough about him to take the time to understand what might be making him tick. So many of the dogs in rescue or in pounds are there because of human beings who either don't understand or refuse to acknowledge that caring for an animal means caring for their mental health as well as their physical needs.

    My Charlie is a perfect example. He had gone through 4 homes and 3 different names when I adopted him at age 2. Even though he has been with us for 5 years, he continues to be unable to trust us and is classified as a "fear biter" as his normally placid personality will change in a second if he is startled. He go from a snarling "Cujo" to contrite, to shaking with fear. Due to his age, if we were to give him up, he would most likely be put down as he cannot be trusted around anyone but the most experienced handler. Too sad, because he is a good boy 99% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, Yesterday when I visited Austin Pets Alive to pick up the two new puppies, I met some of the staff and one lady informed me that APA almost didn't accept Adonis because of his behavior. The Universe brought him to me, as maybe together he and I will discover new ways of loving. He loves it when I get on all fours and chase him around, acting like a dog myself, grabbing his mouth with my hand (ever so slightly and tenderly) and we play wrestle.

    He's funny, as he doesn't chew on my shoes, but he will go get one and carry it around with him. He has toys, but I guess he wants me with him so he has my shoe.

    ReplyDelete